Elliot Anderson has once again teased Newcastle United fans with his return after 16-long weeks out with injury.
The 21-year-old has been out with a back injury since appearing as a substitute in the 4-0 win over Crystal Palace at St James’ Park on October 21 but it looks like the Geordie could be back in the matchday squad very soon.
Anderson provided a fitness update to his Instagram followers ahead of United’s 4-4 draw with Luton last week, posting a photo of him on the grass with a ball under his foot suggesting his was in the final stages of his return.
And now the Geordie has given an update again, this time sharing a photo of him at training with the caption: ‘Final few steps.’
Speaking previously about Anderson’s injury, Howe said: “The next day [after Crystal Palace], he woke up with a sore back and it didn’t really go away so he’s had scans and tests and it looks like eight weeks.”
Anderson has now been out for 16 weeks but could still be a couple of weeks away as recovers from a stress fracture in his back.
The 21-year-old has made 12 appearances across all competitions this campaign – the Premier League, Champions League and Carabao Cup – including four starts.
“Elliot is hugely frustrated and we’re hugely frustrated because it was a key moment for him in his career,” Howe said in October. “This was his breakthrough season in the sense of trying to get more starts and he was doing that, he was well on his way to becoming an important first-team player.
“Hugely disappointing for him and for us because his versatility was important, he could play different roles but again, we have to accept the situation and try and get him back to his best.”
Newcastle United are back in action on Saturday 10 February where they take on Nottingham Forest at City Ground (5:30pm kick-off.)