May 19, 2024

Oleksandr Usyk was reportedly rushed to hospital after beating Tyson Fury in Saudi Arabia.


Oleksandr Usyk was reportedly taken to a Saudi Arabian hospital after defeating Tyson Fury to take the title of undisputed heavyweight champion of the world. Usyk and Fury went toe-to-toe for 12 breathtaking rounds at the Kingdom Arena in Riyadh on Saturday night, with the Ukrainian coming out on top courtesy of a split decision from the judges.


Oleksandr Usyk breaks into tears in press conference after beating Tyson Fury.


Fury attempted to irk his opponent from the first bell as he pulled faces inside the ring and showboated to the mesmerised crowd. And the Gypsy King landed a series of significant blows. Usyk was well in the bout, however, and got plenty of his own shots in, before turning the tide as the contest wore on.


The Ukrainian took the fight to Fury in the latter stages and gave his younger opponent a hiding in the ninth round as he landed blow after blow. Fury wobbled from rope to rope, wounded and dazed, as he appeared to be ready to hit the canvas. But the 35-year-old somehow stayed on his feet and continued to punch well in the final three rounds.


The contest proved tantalising from start to finish and was a close affair right to the very end. And Usyk was ultimately declared the winner moments after the showdown had finished.


Oleksandr Usyk vs Tyson Fury


Oleksandr Usyk (l) got the better of Tyson Fury after a split decision in Saudi Arabia on Saturday .


Both fighters were battered after the contest, with ESPN reporting that Usyk soon headed to hospital for an MRI scan as there were concerns that he had suffered a broken jaw. The 37-year-old only started complaining about jaw pain after the fight had come to an end and was checked out before heading back to the arena to carry out his post-fight media duties.


Fury touched upon Usyk’s jaw problem during his press conference as he explained: “We’ve just had a fight. As you can see by my face, I’m pretty busted up. And he’s gone to hospital with a broken jaw – and he’s pretty busted too. We punched the f*** out of each other for 12 rounds there.”


Usyk’s promoter Alexander Krassyuk addressed the media during a press conference in the aftermath of the fight as he explained that his client needed four stitches for a cut over his right eye and was advised to go to hospital to get a scan on his jaw.


He also confirmed that Usyk would be ready for any rematch in October and revealed that the fighter had been desperate to attend the press conference. “He said he doesn’t want to go to the hospital, he wants to come to the press conference,” Krassyuk stated. “But the doctor insisted he has to go. He insists so I have to be here on his behalf.”


Usyk later arrived back at the Kingdom Arena and was able to move his jaw freely as he gave his thoughts to reporters on an epic night in the Middle East. He broke into tears while discussing the passing of his late father.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *